Star Princess Departure from Chile, Delayed due to Earthquake
Thank you OnDaBoat for reporting in the comments of the my last post that the Star Princess will not sail on 3/2/2010 from Valparaiso Chile as planned. Below is the latest release from Princess about the status of the Star Princess:
Update on Star Princess Turnaround in Valparaiso, Chile — March 2
Star Princess will end its current cruise in Valparaiso, Chile as scheduled on Tuesday morning, March 2. The cruise terminal is open and operational.
The airport there is operating on a very limited basis, and the vast majority of inbound and outbound flights have been cancelled. We are closely monitoring the situation.
Should air service remain limited on Tuesday, we plan to keep Star Princess in Valparaiso for at least another 24 hours so our passengers who are unable to fly out, will be able to stay onboard until flight operations resume. Passengers who are already in Valparaiso will also be able to embark and stay on board the ship.
At this point we plan to operate the following cruise, which is sailing to Rio de Janeiro. We will keep passengers informed of any changes to the itinerary, but the earliest we would sail from Valparaiso would be Wednesday, March 3 at 6 pm.
Passengers who have booked their outbound or inbound air through Princess are being re-booked, and any modification to pre- or post packages have been taken care of.
For passengers onboard who had made independent travel plans in Valparaiso, we have assisted them by checking on the status of their hotel, and have provided them with this information.
This is a fluid situation and can change at any time. We are continuing to provide updates to our passengers as we receive new information.
Passengers with additional questions can call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237).