CruiseSource Cruise News – July 26, 2012
Next year, you’ll be able to stay in shape through a new circuit training program with unique outdoor exercise stations on the jogging track of Princess Cruises new Royal Princess which debuts next June. A great way to balance out all those great meals you will be having! Plus Viking River Cruises continues to grow – announcing two new ships for 2013 (both with new amenities such as heated bathroom floors and an organic herb garden on deck), and Crystal Cruises announced a magically orchestrated deal to bring magicians from Hollywood’s renowned private magicians’ club, the Magic Castle onboard.
Read the latest cruise news each week on CruiseSource. Click to subscribe to CruiseSource!
Princess Cruises Unveils Royal Princess Fitness Facilities
Princess Cruises recently unveiled the sports and fitness features that will be aboard the new Royal Princess when the ship debuts next June. Passengers of all athletic abilities can test their mettle and keep in shape with a new outdoor jogging track and additional circuit exercises, the multi-activity Princess Sports Central, and a fitness center full of the latest equipment with a private aerobics studio for special classes.
Among the fitness facilities on Royal Princess are:
- Jogging Track – This new double-lane jogging track on Deck 18 features separate paths for runners and walkers. In addition, a new circuit program with unique outdoor exercise stations will be set at intervals along the track, making it the perfect place for passengers who want to burn a few extra calories or work on strength moves al fresco. This modern outdoor fitness equipment will offer a new option for those who wish to work out on deck and enjoy the sea air. The track area will be decorated with art picturing iconic global travel destinations, giving passengers the opportunity to “run around the world.”
- Princess Sports Central –The multi-sport area on decks 18 and 19 is designed to offer a collection of fun options, including court games, lawn activities and even a lounge for virtual gaming. The Center Court can be used for basketball, tennis, volleyball and badminton, while baseball fans can even practice their swing at the portable batting cage. Golfers will find a driving range facility, while the simulated laser shooting range offers a new onboard activity. On the upper level, the Lawn Court offers a grassy area for putting, bocce ball, croquet and lawn bowling. The Game Lounge will offer a comfortable space to meet up for games, including table tennis and virtual gaming with KinectTM systems. The cruise staff will be on hand to organize sports competitions and fun group games.
- Fitness Center/Aerobics Studio – The Fitness Center on Deck 17 pairs a state-of-the-art gym with spectacular ocean views. This multi-tiered facility will offer something for all fitness levels, so everyone from beginner to expert will find challenging exercise options. Passengers will find the latest in exercise equipment like treadmills, recumbent bicycles, elliptical machines, strength equipment, as well as a selection of free weights. Most equipment will feature personal TV screens, and some will even offer an interactive, virtual experience that makes exercising a bit more fun and engaging.
Viking River Cruises Orders Two New Ships for 2013
Viking River Cruises recently announced it has placed an order for two additional Viking Longships in 2013. This brings the number of new ships launching next year to eight – an industry first – and a total of 14 new Viking Longships over a two year period.
Viking Longships integrate patent-pending* design and cutting-edge technology with comfortable amenities that reflect guest preferences and current travel trends, such as:
- Two Explorer Suites, the largest river cruise suites in Europe at 445 square feet, each featuring a separate living room, bedroom and private wraparound veranda, offering 270-degree views.
- Seven two-room Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom.
- Thirty-nine Veranda Staterooms with full-size verandas.
- Twenty-two French Balcony Staterooms.
- A revolutionary new all-weather indoor/outdoor Aquavit Terrace, which reinvents the onboard lounge experience by bringing the panoramic outdoor river scenery indoors with retractable floor-to-ceiling glass doors allowing guests to enjoy the scenery and dine al fresco.
- New premium in-cabin amenities that include heated bathroom floors and mirrors, Sony HD TV’s and premium bath products.
- Sustainability upgrades, such as solar panels, an onboard organic herb garden and energy-efficient hybrid engines that reduce vibrations for a remarkably smooth ride.
Accommodating 190 passengers, the ships are scheduled to sail four of Viking’s most popular European itineraries, including the 10-day Tulips & Windmills, 8-day Romantic Danube, 15-day Grand European Tour and 8-day Danube Waltz. The two newest ships, Viking Jarl and Viking Atla, will host guests on the 8-day Rhine Getaway cruise sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. Each of the new Viking Longships will be 443 feet (135 meters) long and will feature 95 staterooms per ship.
Magic Castle Appears on Crystal Cruises
Ultra-luxe Crystal Cruises has pulled the ultimate rabbit out of a hat with a new, industry-first program entitled “Magic Castle at Sea.” Thanks to an exclusive arrangement magically orchestrated by Master Magician Rich Bloch, magicians from Hollywood’s renowned private magicians’ club, the Magic Castle, will come aboard to entertain and mystify guests of all ages. Starting today aboard Crystal Symphony and on August 6’s Crystal Serenity voyage, the incredibly intimate evening shows add yet another live entertainment option to 13 luxury European cruises this year, and every voyage in 2013. The new affiliation also offers complimentary classes for adults to develop their own magical acts, educational enrichment on subjects like Houdini, and children’s shows on select summer and holiday sailings…plus access to the secret Castle itself when in Los Angeles.
Like at the Magic Castle itself, on-board performances are “invitation-only,” with advance, complimentary “invitations”/tickets available at the ships’ libraries. Guests can choose from multiple, half-hour performances over the course of several nights. Come showtime, they enter a special entrance to find the ship’s Pulse or Luxe lounge transformed into the mysterious spirit of the Victorian-era Castle, with flameless candles, lighting, music, murals, bookshelves and magic movies from the 1920’s. With attendance limited to just 25, audience members are privy to an extremely up-close look at sleight-of-hand tricks, impossible feats, and bewitching hocus pocus.